Apply for marriage license


According to the Texas Family Code any persons desiring to enter into a ceremonial marriage in Texas must obtain a marriage license from the county clerk of any county in Texas.


To obtain a marriage license from the Midland County Clerk's office you must be at least 18 years old, both applicants must be present, submit proof of identity and age, provide a social security number, and pay a fee of $82.

If you have a premarital education course certificate from Twogether in Texas, the fee is $22.  A declaration of informal marriage is $47.

We accept cash, money orders and credit/debit cards (convenience fee applied).


We issue marriage licenses Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. unless we are closed for a holiday.


Acceptable forms of identification:

  • Certified copy of birth certificate
  • Concealed handgun license
  • Driver's license
  • Matricular Identification
  • Military Identification
  • Passport
  • State Identification

There is a 72-hour waiting period after the license is issued before the marriage ceremony can take place unless:

  • An applicant is a member of the armed forces of the United States and on active duty.
  • You obtain a written waiver from a court with jurisdiction in family law cases.
  • You complete a premarital education course and can produce a marriage education certificate from Twogether in Texas.

If a marriage ceremony has not been conducted before the 90th day after the date the license is issued, the marriage license expires.


The person who performs a marriage ceremony is responsible for returning the marriage license to our office within 30 days from the date of marriage. The original license will be returned to you once it has been recorded.


A certified copy of a marriage license filed in the Midland County Clerk's office may be obtained for $7 per certified copy. If requesting a certified copy of a marriage license by mail, please include the name of both parties (maiden), marriage date and a return address, along with a money order or cashiers check for the correct fee. You can also use a credit or debit card online.