LHS hosts Chevron roundtable highlighting women in the oil and gas industry

ODESSA, Texas (KOSA) -Legacy High School recently organized a roundtable discussion with engineers from Chevron to shine a spotlight on women working in the oil and gas industry.

The roundtable aimed to provide students with insights into the various opportunities available in the energy sector, emphasizing both career prospects and educational pathways. Female leaders from Chevron engaged with students, addressing questions about career opportunities, the industry’s future, and the vital roles women play in this field.

Catie Matthews, a Public and Government Affairs Advisor at Chevron in Midland, highlighted the importance of the event, especially as it coincided with Women’s History Month. She emphasized that the oil and gas industry offers diverse career paths for all students of all genders.

The speakers from Chevron represented different departments, including public affairs, engineering groups, health and safety, and field operations, showcasing the breadth of roles available in the industry.

During the discussion, Hannah Hoban, a senior at Legacy High School, shared her lifelong passion for engineering, underscoring her curiosity about how things work and her fascination with problem-solving.

Another student, Sydnee Patman, a junior at Legacy, expressed enthusiasm about the vast opportunities in the oil industry, ranging from fieldwork to office roles, reflecting the industry’s versatility.

Chevron’s goal, as reiterated by Catie Matthews, is not only to inspire students but also to encourage them to consider Chevron as a potential future employer. The company sees a bright future in energy and aims to have students join their efforts in shaping this future.

The roundtable discussion at Legacy High School not only provided valuable insights into the oil and gas industry but also served as a motivational platform for students to explore diverse career options.

As Sydnee aptly puts it, “You are the only person stopping you” from pursuing your dreams and exploring the vast opportunities in the oil and gas sector.